- CINEMA | STAN & OLLIE | FRIDAY 17 MAY - Starring Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly, Laurel and Hardy, the world’s most famous comedy duo, attempt to reignite their film careers as they embark on what becomes their swan song – a gruelling theatre tour of post-war Britain. The true story of Hollywood’s greatest comedy double act, Laurel and Hardy, is brought to the big […]
- SCREENING | WILDE WEDNESDAYS: A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE | WEDNESDAY 23 JANUARY - This is a screening of the classic Wilde play that was shown at London’s Vaudeville Theatre. An earnest young American woman, a louche English lord and an innocent young chap join a house party of fin de siècle fools and grotesques. Nearby a woman lives, cradling a long-buried secret. First performed in 1893, Oscar Wilde’s […]
- CINEMA | PETERLOO | FRIDAY 25 JANUARY - ‘Grit and brilliance’ ★★★★★ The Guardian Mike Leigh’s new film, set in 1819, tells the story of the British forces’ attack on a peaceful pro-democracy rally in Manchester An epic portrayal of the events surrounding the infamous 1819 Peterloo Massacre, where a peaceful pro-democracy rally at St Peter’s Field in Manchester turned into one of […]
- MUSIC | JAZZ IN THE BAR: LATIN JAZZ WITH PETE CANTER | SUNDAY 27 JANUARY - From the lilting bossa-novas of Brazil to rhythms of Cuba, jazz musicians have found Latin music to be a continuing source of inspiration. Explore it at our regular night, in the Marine’s bar overlooking the Cobb. Fine saxophonist Pete Canter, accompanied by Philip Clouts at the piano, will be playing music from Brazilian icons Antonio […]
- SCREENING | I’M NOT RUNNING | THURSDAY 31 JANUARY - This is an explosive new play by David Hare, premiering at the National Theatre and broadcast live to the Marine. Pauline Gibson has spent her life as a doctor, the inspiring leader of a local health campaign. When she crosses paths with her old boyfriend, a stalwart loyalist in Labour Party politics, she’s faced with […]
- SCREENING MET OPERA: CARMEN MONDAY 4 FEBRUARY - Don’t miss this revival of Sir Richard Eyre’s dynamic production, broadcast from New York to Lyme Regis. Mezzo-soprano Clémentine Margaine plays opera’s ultimate seductress and Roberto Alagna returns to the role of Don José, the good-hearted soldier in whom she unleashes an uncontrollable passion. Don José breaks the law, goes to prison, deserts the army […]
Right on the seafront in beautiful Lyme Regis, where you can see bands, films, comedians, plays, and community-led events – or just admire the view.
Download our programme here: Marine Theatre January to March 2019