- CINEMA AND TALK | THE LAST WITNESS | FRIDAY 18 JANUARY - This is a Q&A and screening with the Director Piotr Szkopiak and Producer Carol Harding. Set in 1947, the film is about a young, ambitious journalist who risks love, career and ultimately his life to uncover the true identity of an Eastern European refugee and his connection to one of Stalin’s most notorious crimes. The […]
- COMEDY | LYME REGIS COMEDY CLUB WITH STUART GOLDSMITH | SATURDAY 19 JANUARY - This edition is headlined by ‘A charming, expert stand-up’ (Sunday Times) famed for the Comedian’s Comedian podcast With a reputation for smart, accessible stand-up, Stuart’s enthusiasm and natural charm conceal a quick wit and fearlessness honed by his early career as a street performer. Surprisingly candid about his exploits, Stuart likes to get his […]
- SCREENING | WILDE WEDNESDAYS: A WOMAN OF NO IMPORTANCE | WEDNESDAY 23 JANUARY - This is a screening of the classic Wilde play that was shown at London’s Vaudeville Theatre. An earnest young American woman, a louche English lord and an innocent young chap join a house party of fin de siècle fools and grotesques. Nearby a woman lives, cradling a long-buried secret. First performed in 1893, Oscar Wilde’s […]
- CINEMA | PETERLOO | FRIDAY 25 JANUARY - ‘Grit and brilliance’ ★★★★★ The Guardian Mike Leigh’s new film, set in 1819, tells the story of the British forces’ attack on a peaceful pro-democracy rally in Manchester An epic portrayal of the events surrounding the infamous 1819 Peterloo Massacre, where a peaceful pro-democracy rally at St Peter’s Field in Manchester turned into one of […]
- MUSIC | JAZZ IN THE BAR: LATIN JAZZ WITH PETE CANTER | SUNDAY 27 JANUARY - From the lilting bossa-novas of Brazil to rhythms of Cuba, jazz musicians have found Latin music to be a continuing source of inspiration. Explore it at our regular night, in the Marine’s bar overlooking the Cobb. Fine saxophonist Pete Canter, accompanied by Philip Clouts at the piano, will be playing music from Brazilian icons Antonio […]
- SCREENING | I’M NOT RUNNING | THURSDAY 31 JANUARY - This is an explosive new play by David Hare, premiering at the National Theatre and broadcast live to the Marine. Pauline Gibson has spent her life as a doctor, the inspiring leader of a local health campaign. When she crosses paths with her old boyfriend, a stalwart loyalist in Labour Party politics, she’s faced with […]
Right on the seafront in beautiful Lyme Regis, where you can see bands, films, comedians, plays, and community-led events – or just admire the view.
Download our programme here: Marine Theatre January to March 2019