Duty Manager Job Description
We are looking for a talented individual to join our pool of Duty Managers working on a rota basis, covering mainly evening and weekend shifts. Shifts are offered a month in advance based on an individual’s availability and experience. There are no minimum guaranteed hours but the Theatre often has three events per week from 4pm – midnight, as well as private events, throughout the week (with occasional Sunday shifts). So there are plenty of hours to cover.
Duty Managers lead our dedicated and committed front of house team, including a well-established team of volunteer staff, to offer the highest standard of hospitality; and contribute to our continuing successes on stage. The strategic objective is simple: to deliver the best audience experience in Dorset.
Duty Managers have to be energetic individuals, with a passion and love for live arts and with previous experience of leading a team, which delivers the highest standards of customer care in a similar environment; and with an ability to motivate and inspire others to maintain those same standards. A flexible approach and calmness under pressure are a must.
To apply please email your CV with a covering letter to email@example.com by 5 P.M. on 17 October
View a full recruitment pack here.
Audiences and Visitors
- Ensure the Theatre is a welcoming environment for all visitors and audience members visiting the venue, ensuring front of house areas are presentable and safe.
- Ensure the venue is open on time, presented in an appropriate manner and with a warm and friendly welcome.
- Deal with any questions from audience members.
- Ensure the venue is clean and safe for visitors at all times.
Front of House Duties
- Assist the bar team in opening the tills.
- Ensure the volunteers are distributed effectively, making use of individuals’ strongest qualities.
- Hold briefings with volunteers to pass on any event information or any other useful information you consider necessary. Briefings are also an opportunity for volunteers to ask questions and to go over the fire evacuation procedures.
- Delegate tasks to volunteers to ensure all areas of the venue and all aspects of the event are taken care of.
- Consistently motivate and encourage Front of House staff.
- Cash up Box Office and Bar ensuring all stock and takings are correct.
Health and Safety and Fire Safety
- Ensure the safety of the artists, audience and staff by monitoring the front of house and back-stage areas and making regular inspection rounds.
- Ensure fire safety for the building during your shift, checking fire exits, exit signs and that fire extinguishers are working and available, overseeing building evacuations and managing the fire panel to minimise false alarms.
- Inspect first aid kits throughout the building and restock as required.
- Adhere and enforce health and safety procedures within your areas of responsibility, including ensuring Front of House volunteers comply with them.
- Assist with training in the form of weekly fire drills with the Front of House team.
- Work with the Theatre Manager to ensure the safety of staff and the public not only in evacuations but in monitoring the condition of fire equipment and exit routes.
- Offer support and guidance to allow safe access for all audience members attending the Theatre, be familiar with the access provision the Theatre offers; and ensure barriers for audience members with access needs are minimised.
- Ensure the event runs smoothly, assisting artists and hirers with any queries or questions.
- Deal with any seating or ticketing issues that may occur, assisting Box Office should they require help.
- Open the house in communication with the technical staff and bar teams, making them aware of any points of note for that event.
Maintenance and Other Duties
- Communicate any maintenance, Fire, and Health & Safety issues to the Theatre Manager so they may be resolved.
- Assist with external events and hires.
- Together with the Bar Duty Manager, ensure the banking is counted and verified correctly and declared using the zonal till system; and safely deposit all cash and records in the safe at the end of the event.
- To be aware of and assist with any special events such as Press Nights and Members’ Evenings.
- To lock and secure the Theatre at the end of the event, ensuring all staff and visitors have left.
Duty Manager Personal Specification
- A genuine passion for events to include theatre, music, comedy and film.
- Previous experience of customer service in a similar environment.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and customer care skills.
- Approachable demeanour and ability to communicate and advocate the work of the Theatre.
- Highly accurate and well-organised with good time management skills.
- Eager to develop and grow within the role.
- Honesty with a high level of integrity.
- Cash handling with confidence.
- Ability to remain calm whilst working under pressure.
- Flexible, responsive and a team player.
- Flexible availability especially for evenings and weekends, with availability for events when required.
Duty Manager – Terms and Conditions
Pay – £11.00 per hour
Other benefits: Complementary tickets for performances – additional tickets will be dependent on availability). 10% discount on drinks and tickets at the Marine Theatre
The role has a three-month probationary period.
That will have additional benefits, including holiday pay (of about £1.30 per hour) and the possibility of joining the Theatre’s pension scheme.
The Marine Theatre, Lyme Regis is a 125 year old institution with a long history as a working arts venue providing a wide and diverse range of productions and events.
Our board has a rolling retirement cycle, as such we from time to time need new Trustees to join our management board, and we always welcome applications.
We’re particularly looking for trustees with a background of fundraising in the arts, awarding arts funding, working at theatres, arts centres and other venues, and experience of setting up a youth theatre
We’d welcome applications from trustees that contribute to our diversity.
What would you gain from being a Trustee?
- A really fulfilling role in working to develop the Marine’s exciting location to its full potential while retaining its position at the heart of the vibrant community of Lyme Regis
- An opportunity to work with like-minded people to look at ‘outside the box ideas’ whilst ensuring the theatre builds financial strength.
- The satisfaction of being part of the renaissance of a much loved institution.
What would you need to provide as a Trustee?
- A positive attitude and a real desire to make a difference
- A willingness to contribute new ideas and to use your skill sets to help the Marine achieve its goals
- Attendance at our quarterly management board meetings
What’s your next step?
Contact me via email at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a meeting to discuss this opportunity.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Chair of Trustees
We’re looking for friendly bar staff on a casual basis to fit around our busy events and weddings.
The hours are varied with some weekend work. You’ll get to work at some great events including gigs, plays, and community events. Previous experience in bar and customer service work is essential.
Please apply by emailing Gabby Rabbitts at email@example.com with your CV
Hours are varied and flexible.
Up to £12 an hour depending on experience and the event.